Monday Blues: Yet Another Tire Bubble

For the past couple weeks I was riding on a rear tire with a bubble, a bulge in it. This is the third tire that it has happened to. The first couple were in Maxxis tires, this time it was a WTB. I have replaced it with, another Maxxis, so we'll see what happens. 


Unlike the other two, the bulge in the WTB was not just in the tread, it began to push out the sides also which made it look deformed and, the last day I used it, made it rather tricky to ride. Three times is really vexing (f'd up), so I made a close examination of the inside of the tire, and this is what I found. That big square-shaped spot is where the bulge was; as you can maybe see, all the fibers of the inner casing have separated, allowing the air pumped into the tire to push out against the outer portion of the tire. I imagine it is comparable to a hernia. I have never heard of any patch that could be vulcanized to the inside of the tire, repairing the problem, which sucks because the tire was pretty new. Maybe the third time is a charm, and I have met my last tire bubble, but who knows, only time will tell.

The Monday Blues has been an occasional feature here at the blog since inception; the blues, an emotion, a color, a genre of music, with a cycling twist.

Comments