Found: The Mythic Lower Fall of San Antonio


 I knew there was a reason to keep going up the wash and lower canyon week after week. I mean I have been satisfied with the idea of noting the progressive decline in the water level from the record highs, but at the back of my mind there was always the further idea that there was still stuff not yet seen. Stuff to still be discovered. 


I called it "mythic," but honestly, I have never heard any talk about it - this lower fall - nor seen photos, nor any written mention anywhere. This could be because few people know of the fall, or it could be because it is someones best kept secret. It could also be an entirely new feature of the wash, created as a result of the past season's heavy rains. I mean there is not a lick of graffiti anywhere, and I felt privileged to see it in its unmarred state. I make no claim to being a hydrologist, but it is pretty clear that, at some point in the past, the channel of the creek followed a different course, and not over the fall like it does today.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone know this was here?

I was super stoked, but couldn't get a good up-close view from the creekside, so I went for a little wade, not to where it got deeper but...


now that I think about I probably should have. Ah well, there's always next weekend for that. Fingers crossed that the creek continues to flow.

Who's in? Don't forget your water shoes.

I'm still stoked, can you tell? Ain't mountain biking great - I think I'll go to Rim Nordic tomorrow!


the bees were likewise stoked to still have so much water around

when i first noticed this i thought it was a piece of skull with a hole bored into it - too thick to be a skull, but too light to be a rock, so i don't know what the heck it is


and then there it appeared



stoked!

Comments