When the Expert Maybe Isn't

 A few years ago the Tacoma needed some new tires. Since it was a work day, the mrs. facilitated the change - calling ahead to make sure they could get the tires, and then driving down to the local dealership. The directions were simple and straightforward. However, ignoring the explicit request and with no further inquiry or explanation, the dealership mechanics went ahead and put on something completely different, offering "this is what you needed" as the exceedingly lame "expert" excuse. I have never given them a second chance.

This past weekend, the mrs. needed a new tire on her bike and rode over to one of the local bike shops (LBS) - thankfully not one of my three favored ones. Once she got there she called and told me the two options that were available. My response was immediate and unequivocal (or so it seemed) - "get the Roubaix," I said. Still on the phone, I heard her tell the salesperson the name of the tire, clear as day - "I'll get the Roubaix!" Well, somewhere along the line, that simple direction became interpreted as, "convince her to get the other one!" Not knowing any different, the mrs. accepted the salespersons' "expert" opinion (in her position would you argue with someone who says they are the expert?) and got the other tire, the one that was not "the Roubaix."

Skip forward thirty, forty minutes, maybe an hour and another call comes through, "I got a flat," accompanied by a bunch of cussing and swearing at the new tire and the bike shop that had installed it. Anyway, and now close to a second LBS, the mrs. walks her bike over to this shop where they tell her that the new tire is not right for the conditions and, further, that when the first LBS installed the new tire, they pinched the tube which caused the flat. I found this part out later (and was somewhat justified and felt self-righteous hearing that they agreed with my tire choice) when, as I was heading out on my own errand, who should I see walking her bike up the street? None other than the mrs. She was not a happy camper, and pulling the tube out of the tire only to discover that it too had a pinch flat convinced her that neither bike shop employed a mechanic, that day, who could properly install an inner tube.

I'm about as sure as I can be that there a couple local shops she won't be visiting anytime soon.

Comments