W. G. Furman: I'm Not Coming Back, I Never Went Away

On the 23rd of March 1921, the Los Angeles Times printed a letter from stalwart Los Angeles cycling booster, William "Long Bill" Furman addressed to "Friend Williams" (reporter Harry Williams): On April 22, 'way back in 1897, about the time Beanie Walker established the long distance pacifier record for Hoop Pole Township, Posey County, Indiana, I won the one-mile championship of the Pacific Coast at the old Athletic Park. Ralph Hamlin finished second, Tracy Hall, Guy West and some of the rest of our most prominent citizens who have since lost their hair and increased their girths also ran. This bunch is out. Some are dead, some are old and all are fat. Their kick is gone. Me, I'm the last of the clan. I'm not coming back - I never went away.

Sunday, April 24, next I intend to celebrate the twenty-fourth anniversary of the Coast championship win by riding this Kid Halstead, of New York, a half-mile match, best two in three at Mr. Pickens's stadium. (This will surprise Bill.) Where do you alight? I want you to protect the dear public. I want you to bring your uncle's proxy watch out to the track and let me prove to you that I can put up a show. Last Sunday the best time made in the quarter-mile record trial was .28 2/5. That got my goat! I once held that record in .24 3/5. If I can't turn a flying quarter today in .28 flat or better the stuff is off. I want to show these kids what their daddies called a bicycle race. No foolin' I'm rarin' to go.

Last lap,
"Long Bill Furman"

Long Bill clearly did not believe the current crop of young racers were living up to their potential and were falling short of the mark, what their predecessors of twenty year earlier had accomplished. "Long Bill" is one of the many Los Angeles area racers (he also raced internationally) you can read about in Fast Digs, Volume 2, to be released this year. Until then you can also read about him in Fast Digs, Volume 1 once you purchase your copy at my Blurb bookstore.

aged 51 in 1930, Furman applied to have his amateur status reinstated so that he could tryout for the Olympic Games in Los Angeles


W. G. Furman, Founder of the Fit at Fifty Club of America, holding trophy cup for "best-built man over six feet tall," 1929

Comments