Claremont Hills Wilderness Park Closed


Just how do people manage to survive in places where their local parks do not get closed due to hot weather, anyway? [drip, drip, drip - that is sarcasm dripping] 

You all know by now that I am not a big fan of anything that sanitizes the experience, whatever "the experience" might be. That means you'll find no little motor on my bike, nor will I be staying home because it is hot outside. That does not mean that I am going to go climb that shadeless Burbank Canyon when the sun is casting 105 degrees my way. Never the less, if someone wants to do that, I think they should be able to. As a long time hiker / backpacker I learned to "Be Prepared;" as a more recent, yet still veteran, mountain biker, I learned to "Know Your Limits." Those are words of wisdom, backed up by generations of evidence, are words to live by when you go out there. Knowing the meaning of both minimizes the risk of harm or injury. Will people still be injured out there, even when following those two golden rules? Of course, it is part of living. Uggh! Well, whatever. Ranting will not change what you may already know - the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park is closed - again - in response to the excessive heat warning. I know, the powers that be are looking out for the public's safety, that is part of what they are supposed to do, but this isn't like a closure in response to a potential wildfire that people may not see coming until it is too late. Anyway... since high temperatures look like they will be around into next week, I think we should expect this closure to be a long one.

Comments