Slow Sunday Scenes in the Village, 22 May


Oh, I tell ya, it is days like these I am reminded that I've got to spend more time on the road bike. Everyone who's anyone was out this morning and almost from the beginning did I come upon groups gettin' ready to hit the road, or already upon it. There was the group gathering up at the Euro Cafe gettin' ready to ride out to Pasadena, raising funds for No Kid Hungry; I had picked up no mention of such a ride, but there they were. Then came the Sunday Incycle Bagel Riders topping out on Golden Hills, the quickest climbers circling around in the hopes that the laggards would soon arrive. I honestly don't plan it, but it is funny how many Sunday's our paths cross at the same place. Then came some Angels and Demons sprinting for a city limit sign; they didn't say hello as they passed, but did offer a fine draft to follow back into town. Finally, there came the Psycho-lists, gliding in twos and threes past my camera, as I sat there people watching in the Village.

Though the Colleges' graduations are over and many students are already out of town, there were still plenty making last minute departures, pulling suitcases behind them, meeting up with parents or friends for a last breakfast in the Village. I always look forward to a slowing of the pace at the beginning of Summer, almost as much as I look forward to it picking up again when the Fall semester starts.


Jerry, Roy and the boys in the band were thrumming and throwing the notes around their corner of the Farmers' Market adding a level of sensory vividness that I couldn't help but switch from black and while to color. As they usually are, flowers were a hot item, bouquets and sprigs clenched in hands, sticking up from backpacks; and the fruit, already tasty is only going to sweeten as we move into warmer June and July. Good to see that kids can still ride without the omnipresent shadows of ma and pa hovering overhead; one show-off, I didn't get a photo of, riding a wheelie all the way up the street in celebration.

meanwhile up in horsethief canyon








Now if we could just do something about all those others who think they have to drive into the Village.

"... So that's why you've go to try
You've got to breathe and have some fun
Though I'm not paid I play this game
And I won't stop until I'm done

But what I really what to know is
Are you gonna go my way?
And I got to, got to know..."
(Ross, Kravitz)

cool, but put that phone away when you ride - sorry, there's still some dad in me 

Roy

Jerry

Comments