Just Doing My Part

I try to do my part by running over as many of them as I can, but I tell ya, Black Mustard (Brassica nigra) is about as indestructible as you'd want a plant to be. I swear there are some out there that I've rolled over five times or more; they've been battered and flattened, the outer skins of the stalks worn away, even broken and still they grow and bloom, spreading their seed around. 

I know, I know, you're wondering why. When the hillsides of Bonelli, or the Chino Hills are covered with mustard, it can be a pretty impressive sight. When you ride a narrow ribbon of trail through seven foot high stalks it can be a pretty impressive experience. The problem is, Black Mustard can be all there is on those hillsides as the plant not only crowds out any competition, but it also "produces allelopathic chemicals that prevent germination of native plants." In many places Black Mustard is a highly prolific weed, in other places it can become invasive, prohibiting the growth of native flora which can, in turn, have a negative impact upon native fauna. 

Anyway, if you happen to see me weaving all over the trail, or dirt road, it's okay, you'll know why. I'm just doing my part.

Comments