Smashed Pumpkins

I mean he wasn't wrong, it just seemed like an odd thing to be on a rant about.

It has been an expected sight since... hmmm, well since long before I was a kid, I imagine - smashed pumpkins, jack-o-lanterns out in the street the day after Halloween.

I was stopped on Amelia, waiting for the mrs. to catch up. At the next corner along the street a guy was yelling, or talking loudly, very loudly, at two women on the other side of the street - they were laughing so I knew it wasn't angry yelling, but I hoped the dude wasn't walking my way (a little too much partying last night, I thought).

He was. Walking my way. He had been. Too much partying the night before. Then again, maybe he simply woke up in a very good mood. I was already clear of his path of travel, but I shifted a little bit further out. As he got closer I warily looked over at him; big dude, scruffy looking. "Where are the smashed pumpkins, man? No smashed pumpkins, no egged houses. Where are the smashed pumpkins? What's happened to Halloween? There's always smashed pumpkins"

I saw a smashed pumpkin, one smashed pumpkin, I said. "The band?" he responded. Ha, ha, ha, haw. His joke was corny, but we both laughed. This dude is alright, I thought. "One smashed pumpkin, huh? Where was it? I saw three pumpkins on a porch back there, and started to get one, but then I noticed the guy watering the lawn. I didn't get one." Ha, ha, ha, haw, again. He walked on then and, only a little while longer, I heard him going on about something to someone else. Probably has something to do with a dearth of smashed pumpkins and broken eggs I suppose, I thought. And then the mrs. was there and the ride was on again. 

Smashed pumpkins, or just smashed. After all, it is the day after Halloween.

Wow, what a house. Would like to have seen this at night. Someone has to put it all away now.

yes

greens

reds


walking, with bikes, through the farmers' market

peach and grapes

"I am the eggman, I am the eggman, I am the walrus..."

walking, with bikes, through the farmers' market



first I thought this big print was part of the little free library, but there is also a trash bin there - just behind Jax

yes

Comments