Lithe as a... Bobcat?

 Well howdy, has it been quite a couple days for wildlife sighting on the gravel loop! First there was Tuesday with Rattlesnake, Coyote and four of his heathen compatriots; I didn't even mention Owl in the post that evening. On any other day his flight up and over my head when startled from his trailside perch might have been the highlight - but not Tuesday.

I didn't think Tuesday could be bettered. But then came Thursday. Five deer, out on the east side. As I came clattering along two of then casually strolled through the gate and into the brush to the north while the others, at a more hurried pace, headed south toward the quarry diggin's. One of them, with especially large ears, seemed to be possessed of a bit of education, had his tripod out and appeared to be doing a bit of surveying. Whaaaatzat all about? I am beginning to wonder if something is a brewin' - I mean a gatherin' of coyotes, now a gathering of learned deer. You folks who live nearby best watch out, I think the animals might be planning something. 

Anyhow, the deer weren't the best of it. Best were the two bobcats. I have seen many of the local animals, including Bear and Fox, but before Thursday never had I seen Bobcat. The two, young ones, though older than cubs - more like teenagers, i'd say, long legs, sinewy, lithe. Well, one was lithe anyway. I think they were stalking a cluster of doves just a little way down the road when I came along and spoiled those plans. Anyway, one bolted, immediately and directly, away from me as I quickly came to a stop. The other... well, lets just say he could learn a little something from Deer. This one, clearly confused ran headlong and at full speed into a chainlink fence. Oh, that had to hurt. My heart was racing just watching his frantic and bizarrely futile attempt at escape. While I tried to get my camera out he found the agility to jump the fence, landing on the ledge you see in the photo below. Then he tried running again with a half-assed attempt to leap the other fence and, BAM, right into that one too. At that point he almost ended up down in the channel, but found his footing and, only then, realized he could squeeze between the fence post and wall to escape up the far slope.

The whole thing was border-line farcical, but the most exciting thing I have seen in a while. You just never know what you'll find when you get out there.

Comments