Between Mountains and Sea: Another Day at Carpinteria

 Remember that old commercial of the owl licking the lollipop to see how many licks it would take to reach the Tootsie Roll center? It took three licks before... Crunch. And that was it - three licks. Two consecutive Saturdays have now been spent in some old stomping grounds - Carpinteria; I figure it have one more visit before I can declare myself satisfied for this summer. In the mid-80s I lived in the little town. Did I realize how fortunate I was, how good I had it? Well, kind of; but not to the extent that I realize it in hindsight. All those years ago I had certain routes to get from one place to another, and I rarely deviated from those routes. Weekends usually meant a little time at the beach, or a ride to the Jr. high school with tennis racquet, in the most direct line possible, while a ride north or south out of town was along an equally direct line along the frontage road. If I went to the mountains, that usually involved driving to Ojai and accessing them via highway 33 or, less occasionally, north through Santa Barbara toward Cachuma. As a result there have always been entire neighborhoods and sites within town of which I have been blissfully [?] unaware. 

Yesterday I took steps to correct that deficiency. The previous Saturday was set aside for riding down along the coast route to Ventura (not new, but still a must do), while this Saturday was for staying closer in to town -  riding the bluffs, visiting the marsh, eating fish tacos, quaffing beer from Island Brewing Company, and checking out the lower reaches of the Franklin Trail which ascends the mountains behind town. 


the Carpinteria Marsh has a nice interpretive trail around it

Island Brewing Company

I don't know how I have ever missed this house before - wild (with even more eclecticism behind that hedge)






bikepackers

the Franklin Trail starts at the high school (an easy ride from the beach) and starts out easily enough, making some right angle turns around the extensive avocado orchards which proliferate in the area, before turning into a steep switchbacky trudge up the mountains - or so I have heard - only did that first part this time.




back down in town, and crossing Carpinteria Creek

over the tracks

overlooking the ocean




along the tracks to Rincon Point - many people choose this route between Carp and Rincon, but I  doubt anyone encourages it the other option is to stay on the official Bluff Trail (top of the bluffs) and then descend at "para-sail hill."


the Bluff Trail runs behind these corporate campuses - the overlooks, trail and seating areas (like this one) must be a collaborative effort since they are clearly intended to be used jointly by employees and passers-by. Cool.

overlooking north Rincon Beach with its many driftwood surf shacks

the trail down the bluffs


recover, or no?

you've heard of Trump Tower, now you've seen Stump Tower

finishing with a Fosters Freeze - of course!

Well, two weekends and no swimming or body surfing. I guess I know what I will be doing next time.

Comments