The Whittier Narrows BMX Track: We All Ride


"Is that gunfire from a shooting range?"

It was, I believed, to be only the first of a string of related questions. I either misread the level of intent within the question, or my non-challant "yeah, sure" answer was all that was required to quickly end things. 

A few moments later, with gunfire still cracking the air above the roar of the 605's streaming motor traffic, as well as the drone and buzz of model airplanes from directly overhead, I happened to glance to my right where a couple flags were fluttering in the breezy distance, and notice... "is that... that looks like a bmx track." And of course it was - the Whittier Narrows BMX track.

On a whim, I had decided at the last second to deviate. A regular route would have been the left turn on the San Gabriel River Trail to go up and over the dam. Instead, just for something different "lets go straight," Straight taking us along the Rio Hondo Bike Trail, past the shooting range, the airspace for model airplanes, the acres of soccer fields and, tucked in the middle, the bmx track. 

I knew of the track. Of course. I knew it was somewhere in the general area, but having not ridden the Rio Hondo in years, and having not visited the track previously, I didn't realize it was so close. It didn't appear as though racing was taking place, the experience level of riders seemed wide and, checking the schedule back at home, it appears as though a beginners' clinic was taking place. Cool. Kids excited about riding. 











 






Beside the USA BMX link above the track has an FB page which looks to be quite active.

Comments