Fast-moving Mouth


"I wish my legs could move as fast as my mouth, but that ain't happening." 

Those immortal words came to me from a way back in 2014 courtesy of Mr. Michael Fleming, a man whose image I have managed to capture on numerous occasions. Usually those occasions involve one race or another, or a training ride, or even a leisurely spin along the PET when that is all there is. Frequently Michael can be found at the Sunday farmers' market with a guitar, a harmonica and his fast-moving mouth; when I arrived at the Village today, he was there with a couple "back up" musicians entertaining the passers-by with some Willie Nelson tune. I don't know if Michael has ever met Willie, but I think they'd get along well. They're both cut from the same mold - witty, funny, irreverent. That sort.

I have often noted Michael as being a fount of all things local bike racing; his words could easily fill a book to overflowing. Year after year I keep thinking I need to set Michael down, with a cup of coffee, in front of a tape recorder - [what? a tape recorder?] - and turn his fast mouth loose, just let him go. Well, maybe some year, I will. 

In the meantime, when you see him at the Sunday farmers' market try this, just ask him a clever question about local cycling and let me know what he has to say.





Comments