All in a Day's Adventure

 Sure, the current was stronger out there in the middle of the creek, but moving out into the deeper water would take me further around an especially large, and active, aggregation of bees on the creekside. And that is when it all happened.


Having paid another visit to the secret lower fall of San Antonio which, by the way, shows no sign of diminishing any time soon, I was tiredly making my way back out. The rising heat of the day had taken a toll, so when I slipped on a submerged rock it did not come as much of a surprise. Slipping was enough to cause me to let go my grip on the bike, and the current began to carry it away from me - carbon fiber frames are surprisingly buoyant. There was no danger of it getting too far away, yet still, I made a sudden grab. Movements like that are never a good idea with that may bees swarming around, and it was almost immediate that I felt a first, and then a second, sting on my shoulder.

Shit! Damnit!

Regaining my balance, and my bike, I made some haste to reach the other side of the creek before continuing down. That is when I noticed that both of the boa's on my left shoe had popped out, one completely missing, the other thankfully hanging on. It was nothing to pop it back into place, but now I'm going to need a replacement. Thanks bees, all because I was trying to avoid you to begin with.

Heck, what could have been just another regular days' adventure, turned into a little more. Hey, at least there weren't any rattlesnakes involved.







a patch of black berries below the fall. i imagine the fall will be dry by the time the berries ripen

my trusty Camelbak has lost some zipper pulls over the years, bu tis still going strong


Comments