So Close

 I had almost made it out along the Pacific Electric Trail, and back, without suffering a puncture and I was confident of making it the short distance I still had left to get home. Feeling good about that, and the ride, I made the short detour over to see Dale at The Velo; I was way overdue for a visit, so why not today? It is good to see that block of Foothill so busy - the Velo with its twin red umbrellas out front, the racks stocked with quality used bikes, and Dale wrapping some bars with new tape. The Covey Gardens boutique was doing a Pumpkin Succulent workshop out front today which looked pretty... well, it looked pretty, all those people making autumn-themed centerpieces. On the other side of the Velo, where the yarn shop used to be, is a new women's clothing boutique - Enchanted Lily's - a little mom and daughter place (or anyway a mom and daughter was who I sort of met) - check 'em out when you're in the area - honestly, these small places are the heart and soul of little towns like Claremont, and supporting them rather than the big faceless corporate chains, just helps preserve the unique character.

Any who, a bit of shade, a bottle of cold water, some small talk, big talk, or what ever talk, it was refreshing. But...

then I realized my front tire had gone flat. Damnit anyway, so close. Well, it wasn't the end times after all, and Dale came through with a tube and the air to fill it - and that's the thing, you'll know a good friend...


when they are there!


You might remember that there was a time when I used to stop by the Velo more frequently, and would do those Classic and Vintage posts anytime I would spot a particular bike in the racks. Well, today I noticed this GT Tequesta, a solid '90s bike with the color scheme reminiscent of those years that Julie Furtado was such a dominant competitor in women's mountain biking. Some twenty-five years on, this is still a good looking bike. You can check it out in person by stopping by the Velo, World's Smallest Bike Shop.



Comments