From the Great Caerbannog Rabbit


I have often wondered if hidden in the gene pool of the rabbit population lies a latent trait passed down a very long line of descent from the One, the One that all rabbits alive today revere - the Rabbit of Caerbannog. The rabbits of today can point to any one of a multitude of Caerbannog Rabbit's courageous exploits, its part of their lore, passed down from generation to generation, but the average human can probably recall only one of those incidents - the time he laid waste to King Arthurs knights. True they were not the most well-known knights, just the regular ones, the ones with names like Sir John, Sir Tim, and Sir Mike; those names would become popular later in human history, but back then knights with those names were sort of like red shirts. When people realized they had to run off to the local scribe every time they tried to spell Lancelot, Gawain, Bedevir or Lamorak, those names suddenly fell out of favor and the Johns, Tims and Mikes rose to the top...

Anyway

I came close to answering my own question last night when I was charged by a long-eared fur ball. I had taken one of those dirt roads that I only rarely take, times when I want to mix things up a bit. Up ahead a ways I noticed a rabbit burst out of the brush on the right side of the road. He made an abrupt turn and, at full speed, came straight at me. He looked mad, and by mad I mean enraged. I didn't know what his problem was, I mean I was just riding along, minding my own business, but whatever caused his antagonism, he seemed determined to take out his fury on me.

I was just about to make a sudden swerve out of his path when, as quickly as it started, his rocket-like trajectory came to a screeching stop. Whether he considered the size of the front wheel he faced, or maybe just realized I wasn't the enemy he thought I was, common sense won out over valor and he skidded to a stop, giving rise to the biggest cloud of dust I have ever seen a rabbit make, and then bolting through in the opposite direction, swirls of dust spinning in his wake.

Almost immediately I thought of the cloud I had noticed the previous night: He looked something like that - little rabbit busting through a big cloud of dust.

Comments