It's Baaack

Technically it was never gone, but it has come down from the rafters with another chance at living the life it was made to.


Admittedly the brakes still need to come off and, though it is not really a track bike, I figure it will do just fine as a stand-in for one. At least well enough to pass the certification class at Encino Velodrome. Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in becoming track certified let me know, maybe we can get a group. You don't need a track bike (they have some for beginners), but there is a fee. I have not picked a date yet, but there seems to be about two each month (assuming there are entrants enough to hold them).

In the meantime I need to spend some time riding a fixed gear to get used to it. And that brings up a question for y'all - for those who ride both fixed and geared bikes, is it easy to move back and forth between the two? When I picked this one up I, almost immediately, flipped the rear wheel to the free side and, except for riding up and down the alley a few nights ago, free is where it has been. Since I have spent a lifetime riding geared bikes I think fixed is going to require some getting used to. Yeah, I know the old saying, and have used it plenty times myself - practice makes perfect.

Think about that class.

Comments