Up the Road: The Late Great Los Angeles to Santa Monica Road Race

Now that my series on the old race has reached some kind of conclusion, I took some keen interest in a Facebook post saying "The Los Angeles to Santa Monica Bicycle Race was a Fourth of July tradition at the turn of the century. Learn about its history and other tales along the Exposition Line at our next Sunday Funday on November 5th."

"Well, that's either opportunely coincidental, or coincidentally opportune," I thought.
It sounded quite interesting, and perhaps right up my alley.

At the time I was not sure who was giving the talk about the race, but I was pretty sure who wasn't, being prematurely committed to a Sunday in Riverside for the Anza Crossing cyclocross race. "That's too bad," I thought again. "I would like to have seen the modern equivalent of the old route between the two cities, maybe learned something I was unaware of." On the other hand I won't need to worry about embarrassing myself by mis-stating some fact I thought I knew.

Anyway, through subsequent information, the speakers on the history part of the Sunday Funday ride have been revealed. If the ride sounds interesting and, unlike myself you are not mostly committed to being in Riverside, check out the relevant information here - it sounds good to me. You can even read up the previous eleven posts about the old race here at the blog, study the information, and that way be prepared to call out Jonathan or Wayne should they mis-state some fact.

The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC) hosts all kind of rides and events throughout the year, such as Sunday Funday. The best way to find out about upcoming things is by paying your dues, joining. The second best way is to take the shortcut and simply "like" them on Facebook.

Comments