Two Wheel Tuesday: Change in the Air

If there is one truism in life, it is the inevitability of change. Everything changes. Societal constructs in our human world have determined that change can either be good, or change can be bad. I am not so sure of that; I think change might be more neutral than anything. I mean, what is good for one person, might not be good for another. Change is just change, after all, and we can either accept it and adapt to what it brings, or not. 

In the year that has passed since I first started riding it, the Two Wheel Tuesday (2WT) mtb ride has changed. The change has been gradual (mostly), but noticeable none-the-less - a little bit faster, a little bit longer (in both distance and time), a little more competitive. Many "leaderless" rides evolve in such a way. People who used to show up no longer do, "new" people take their place. None of those changes would compel me to skip 2WT; it is as stoke-rousing as it ever was. None of those would cause me to utter the old "don't wait for me guys, i'll be doing my own thing tonight" while riding, solo, away from the first regroup.

That third night of sleeping on the ground, mostly immobile in a sleeping bag a week and a half ago, may have destroyed my back but that would not compel me to miss the weekly story-time and LVBC beer sipping. On the other hand my super night vision is not quite as super as it once was and, combined with that little bit more speed and little bit more competition, that argument is a little bit more compelling. Darkness and pavement is one thing, darkness and dirt and rock is something else entirely. For quite a while now I have been decrying (to myself) a lack of miles, the loss of my road legs, the diminution of superior bike handing ability built up during all those years of racing and training. I think on all that and then think that maybe it is time to make a seasonal change to the road, a return to roots, until light returns to the evening sky. Is this change good, or bad? Maybe neither; as one opportunity fades, another comes to light, so to speak. Change is just change.

darkness rising

one group here...

another group there

not sure if they were preparing for the upcoming monthly aircraft display, or something more unique, but there were some planes you don't normally see at Brackett Field, including some big military ones.

Comments