Cycling Claremont: Pipeline Protest...

Cutting through the campuses on my way home from the morning ride I noticed these long lines of yarn stretched between posts, trees, shrubs, whatever it could be attached to. There were little 3x5 cards and other pieces of paper hanging here and there from it which, I first assumed, said something like "keep off the grass" or "keep out of the shrubs." But the lengths of yarn just kept going along my rather zig-zag route, and it eventually came to me that something was going on here. Pulling over it became clear - the yarn represented an oil pipeline, specifically the Keystone XL (my interpretation), and on the cards people had written everything that is wrong with tar sands oil extraction, and pipeline oil transportation. Ride on by, or walk, soon; no telling how long it will last.

i can't believe the pocket camera focused on the background. oh well, this one says: "indigenous communities have been forced off their land because of the tar sands oil extraction sites"

The Cycling Claremont series of posts highlight some of the local businesses and points of interest I have been known to frequent because I like what they offer, because they are bicycle friendly, or because they provide something unique or interesting, and which visitors to Claremont (or residents) may also like.

Comments