Finding Stuff

 You know, today is National Donut Day, and it is also World Bicycle Day. I was planning to ride to work anyway, and the fact that it is WBD had no bearing on that decision. It was just a happy coincidence. When I got into the office I found that our newest employee had brought in donuts. That was a happy coincidence too. Though riding to work had no bearing on finding donuts there when I arrived, it did get me thinking about riding bikes and finding things. I thought back to Thursday when, upon returning home after the evening ride, I found a bouquet of teeny-tiny flowers lodged in my left pedal. I thought of the ride home from the office when I found a bunch of succulents lined up along the curb, and marked "Free." Thank goodness for my Cat on a Bike handlebar bag which was just big enough one of the smaller ones.  I thought of Super Dave who would always find money on the street, stopping for each as long as that money was a dime or greater.


I realized that bicycling, more than walking, more than driving, as a mode of mobility is the best way of finding things. Sure you can maybe find more things by walking, but your short term range is limited. You can have a greater short term range by driving, but you won't find anything because you're going too fast. Bicycling is in that middle ground between the two; the area where you can find a lot because of the human pace, yet can also cover great distances in short periods of time. Just think of all the things you've found while riding - not just physical things, but the happiness and health stuff as well. There are lots of reasons to ride, finding things might not make the top ten list, but it is a happy coincidence. 

little bouquet on Thursday

donut on Friday

Comments