Marco... Polo

Out of the blue, "hey, Mike." I had just nodded to a rider who had finished his ride at Encanto in Duarte. Was he someone I should know? If so the recognition was one-sided. No, the words came from another rider who I saw but didn't really notice as I was busy nodding to the other rider. If you know what I mean. Anyway, stopping just as soon as I had rolled down the driveway and into the street, I turned to see a rider in black swinging around to come back my way. Marco; I'll be damned. Marco also raced with the Chevy / Sheriff's and Team Xtreme in the '90s. We caught up a little bit, as much as you can in the chill morning air - people and places, teammates that he sometimes still sees on the road, that sort of stuff. I thought, damn, he is looking more fit than he did twenty years ago. There is some proof there, that when we stay active, time can be kind.

Later, as I was riding (poorly) down the river trail I wondered how often I may have passed some other rider heading the opposite direction, someone I may have known from years ago, but did not recognize due to the passing of years. How 'bout him? No. Her? Hmmm?

that's Marco, on the left

the posse, the only other photo from the day

Comments