I Am Fine With That

After I was passed the other day (a couple months ago, actually) by a bicyclist going fast, really fast, artificially enhanced, non-human-powered fast, I came to the realization, the reason why I could never ride a pedal-assist bike, let alone an e-bike. It was nothing to do with any of the usual reasons you hear - the "it's cheating," the "i'm not ready for that yet," the tough guy "i'll pedal until I can't pedal anymore" excuses. It is not because i think they don't belong, because they cost more, are heavier, destroy the trails, are dangerous, or add an additional level of maintenance, a task that seems ever more difficult to make time for with my non-motorized bikes as it is. 

No, none of those. The singular reason I could never ride a pedal-assist or e-bike, is because I would be too embarrassed to pass anyone. I would forever be at the back of the moving bunch, hanging behind everyone at lights, letting the gal with the fully-loaded cargo bike pull away on her homeward grind, and watching the guy with the refrigerator strapped to his back, and tires so low they might as well be square, disappear up the road. I just couldn't do it. I would be too embarrassed. I have been committed to pedaling every uphill inch for so long, that I couldn't do it any other way. In the off chance that I might start to pass someone after closing on them like a rocket on wheels, I would start to imagine their thoughts - "oh, one of those guys. Yeah, I could go that fast if I had an extra little motor too."

Years ago, I was going up the Santa Susana Pass one morning. As I passed an older rider, probably more than twenty-years older, he said something like, "I used to be able to do that too, you know." That was all he said, but I could hear the other part in his voice, the "you young whippersnapper. Just wait, you'll be in my place one day." I made a little ha-ha laugh, partly because I was young and cocky, but mostly because I was faster and could out climb him. Saying "sorry," would have seemed condescending given that situation, and besides I don't think I could have brought myself to apologize anyway. For what, after all? Today, though, with a little motor extra boost, an "i'm sorry," would be required at every pass. "I'm sorry, I know you're doing the best you can with those two little legs there, but they ain't enough. Sorry."  So, again, I just couldn't do it.

I know some fine people who have taken to them lately, those things. That's fine. I can understand their reasoning, the desire to keep up with the bunch. As for myself, well I may get a wee bit slower year by year (hopefully not day by day), and that may make it a bit more difficult to keep up, but I am okay with that. I would still rather accept the challenge of trying and being last to the top of the climb, than surrendering for the honor of summiting first.


Though last week was rather devoid of riding, I did manage one quick spin in the Wilderness Park, motor-less no less:


old rocky top

you don't often find purple glass

Comments