Lines of Sight


The other day I had to make a little detour from my regular route through the Colleges. A new layer of slurry seal was being laid, and if nothing else, I did learn from the only other time I rode through that kind of mess - to never do it again. Anyway, that detour took me through the double-arched passage shown above. There is nothing special about the forms themselves, though the reveal around the arch and the lines in the concrete left by the forming do add some textural interest. More significant, I think, are the combination of the two arches, and the view - through the first arch, over the wall, above the red-tiled roofs, to the Smith Memorial Tower. The combination establishes an effective progression through space, the eyes move from one point to another. And where the eyes lead, the body follows. Ride and seek.

Comments