A Beginning: Colnago





All things must have a beginning, and in the case of the legendary Colnago presence in the United States, that beginning is this orange frame and fork (with matching Silca frame pump). The VeloSport mussette is not a bad match at all. 

From the United States Bicycling Hall of Fame in Davis, California, on loan from Peter Rich. Rich (founder of Velo-Sport Bicycles), after having met Ernesto Colnago, in a round about way during a Masi factory visit, imported several Colnago's including this one, his personal bike.


Comments

  1. When I first moved to California to work at Velo Sport, my bikes and other belongings were on a slow trip across the country, and delayed by a winter storm somewhere in the Great Plains. On my first day off, I asked Peter Rich if there was a bike my size somewhere in the shop that I could borrow. Peter said his orange bike would fit me. It did. What a great bike! And what a great guy, letting me take this piece of history out for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 1981 Colnago Super, they ride amazingly, very fast and nimble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I worked at Velo Sport in 2012, Peter asked me to dust that bike off and put a price tag on it.

    Later I looked it over and noticed that the brake calipers were not engraved with the Campagnolo name.

    I asked Peter why and he answered: those were prototypes.

    Imagine having a relationship with Campagnolo that included being on their ‘send prototypes’ list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment