2015 Interbike: Bits and Pieces, Odds and Ends, Part 3

It has been a pleasure photographing the Luna chix at the early season mountain bike races over the years, as well as the occasional appearance for a cyclocross race (and in the case of one, on the road as well). So, it was added pleasure to see them - Catharine Pendrel, Maghalie Rochette, Georgia Gould and Katerina Nash - at Interbike in the EVOC booth.


Over in the Asian Pavilion area was a display of various award winning components from the Asian equivalent of Interbike. Some, like this Light Handle are interesting concepts with good intentions, but in its displayed form, seem rather limited. I am also a little wary, cautious that some politician would see this and wonder why turn signal lights are not already required.


Others, like this folding handlebar are clear functional right now.


Cyclelogial makes some nice teeshirt designs. I was hoping to get one of those vamos shirts that dude is wearing, but by the time I got over there for one, they were sold out. Cyclelogical makes bags as well.

Alright, this one is a little biased; you already know my fondness for Vittoria shoes. I wear them on the road now, as I have done in the past. Since I need some new mtb shoes, well… you get the idea. To make them even more attractive they come with Vibram soles. When I was a wee lad hiking boots with vibram soles were the be all, end all; if yours didn't have that little yellow logo, forget about it.





I will let you in on a little secret, though they are legendary, I have never had a desire to own, let along ride on, a Brooks saddle. Until now. This racing saddle, the Cambium C-15, would put me on the rivet, if not back on it.


Brooks. Beauty out of a simple, everyday object. But are they available for presta valves?


Fizik shoes for both road and mountain may be the most classically designed shoe out there.

I don't think I would have any qualms about riding these Cobalt 3 wheels on my 29er. By Crank Bros.


Don't have a dropper myself. Probably has something to do with that no-downhill-ability thing. If I did, though, I might be tempted by the Highline, again by Crank Bros.



I was hoping that Charlie Kelly would be at Interbike so I could pick up a personalized copy for the library. Expect a full review in the near future; initial impressions, though, are that this is a very amazing book, and I am looking forward to reading and viewing the history in its pages.


There were two components/accessories I came close to awarding Best of Show this year, one I already shared - the Litelok. The other is the Lauf Carbonara fork. I don't do any of that crazy downhill stuff, so never really need all that front suspension that my bikes have. Additionally, of course, all that suspension (whether oil or air) requires some maintenance. And they add quite a bit of weight. Not so this fork by Icelandic company, Lauf. The Carbonara is the heaviest of the companys' three models, yet at 2.43 pounds it is not heavy at all. Lightweight composite, zero maintenance and with 2.35" of travel, seems pretty darn nice for anything other than above-average technical trails. The suspension comes from those leaves, each made of military-spec high performance S2 glass fibers, both flexible and impact resistant - the same material used in the armor of tanks. The forks come with a five year warranty. Be sure to click that link for more info.

Comments