Slow Sunday Scenes: Grab Life by the Bowls

 Once I said to a scarecrow, "You must be tired of standing in this lonely field."
and he said, "The joy of scaring is a deep and lasting one, and I never tire of it."
Said I, after a minute of thought, "It is true; for I too have known that joy."
Said he, "only those who are stuffed with straw can know it."
Then I left him, not knowing whether he had complimented or belittled me.
A year passed, during which the scarecrow turned philosopher.
And when I passed by him again I saw two crows building a nest under his hat.
(The Scarecrow, Kahlil Gibran)


The Claremont Scarecrow party continues, with a cluster of them outside city hall watching over the proceedings of the farmers' market. I settled in nearby, with a fruit bowl in hand, to watch the passing, to and fro, along the street in front of me. A lot of familiar faces out there this morning. The mrs. thought some of those little papier-mache flowers at Rio de Ojas would make a colorful addition to the cycling shrine, so I picked up a little bouquet to bring home.












regrettably, some trashy folk sat here before, and worse,  they may have left their basura in front of...

an impressionable youngster, who also left something










Comments