Claremont Scarecrow Party Four: Notorious

 

I don't know about being scary to crows, but she'd strike fear in the hearts, or minds, of Fascists and other like-minded control freaks everywhere. The Ruth Bader Ginsburg scarecrow is far and away the best I've yet seen around town (and very prominently displayed).

Speaking of notorious, I got to thinkin' this evening during my ride, on some of the more notorious intersections in the fair city of Claremont. Mills and Foothill, for a long time would have made the list of problem crossings - it has not seemed to be as bad lately, but a little further west Indian Hill and Foothill, if the Courier's crime log is any kind of accurate judge, must be near the top of the list. Towne and Baseline, Monte Vista and Baseline, would both get some votes. Now that I have started in on my dark season, after work loops again, I have been reminded of another of my personal favorites - Indian Hill and Colby Circle. Drivers come out from Trader Joe's and the other businesses around the Old School House, arriving at Indian Hill anticipating a plethora of motors heading in both directions will bring them to a stop. So, often, when they make a quick check to the left and to the right, and see no cars to stop them, they go - the classic California Stop (and isn't that embarrassing to have something like that named after your state - a sad indictment of the driving habits of our fellow Californians). 

Anyway, what has happened in the past, happened again this evening as I made a left from Indian Hill onto Colby - another California Stop, another near miss, another evil eye given, another "sorry, I didn't see you" wave. There are few times, or places, I appreciate the sight of opposing traffic when I am making a left turn, but this is one.

another clever use of recycled materials scarecrow

a well-fed farmer scarecrow

Comments