Cycling La Verne: The New Puddingstone Drive Bike Lanes

And just like that (I can say "just like that" because, though it is possible they were there as long as two weeks ago, tonight was my first opportunity to see, and ride them). "They" are the new bike lanes on Puddingstone Drive in the city of La Verne. The lane on the north side of Puddingstone, thus for west-bound traffic, is the typical sort right up against curb adjacent parking. There is no extra space there, so beware the infamous opening door. The east-bound lane is much nicer, curb adjacent and buffered; no need to fear the door on this side of the street. As welcome as this change is, lets face it, with the airfield on the other side of that chainlink fence, and a wide sidewalk, the east-bound side could easily have accommodated a fully protected bike lane with enhanced sidewalk, much like Foothill Blvd through Claremont now has. I can overlook that because, well, because in its current transformation it still works for the Bud's Ride. 

west-bound

east-bound

Anyway, and I hate to throw a Debbie Downer into the good news mix, but I am surprised that the lanes don't extend all the way to Wheeler. Was not Wheeler, the city of La Verne's primary north / south bicycle corridor? Connecting the two would seem to be the obvious thing to do, or am I wrong? Instead, the west-bound lane ends between Wright and Wheeler, before it even reaches the Gilead Sciences campus. Hmm, I don't know, but I must be missing something, some reason...

Well, anyway, it is good to see some movement in La Verne, the city's work is filling out the regional network, closing the gaps, making it easier for people to choose active transportation options, I just wish the improvements did not leave me with additional questions.


Comments