Weekly WNGR: Changes in Latitudes

You know, we change course a lot in our lives - new schools, new neighborhoods, new jobs, marriage is a big course change, as is starting and managing family life. Maybe that is why some people are adamantly anti-change, seeking out stasis, even though it does not really exist in any practical sense. The world is in a constant state of flux, and there is nothing you, I, nor anyone else can do to change that. And so...

when I got that flat just at the point where the WNGR starts to get most interesting I let out a sigh, soft-pedaled while glancing back at the rear tire, bounced up and down on the saddle a few times, glanced backward and down again, stopped, pinched the tire between thumb and pointer finger for confirmation, shrugged my shoulders, said "oh well" to no one in hearing distance, watched the group ride ever further away, turned around and, after checking over my shoulder to make sure no one had stopped to wonder, slow rolled back down hill toward home. There had already been one flat, ten minutes earlier and, since I had brought no spare, no repair, nor had any air, I did not feel like burdening the group with another delay.

I was not expecting a Wednesday evening course change, certainly not one that meant giving up the ride, but there it was anyway and, at least on this night, there was nothing I could do to change it. The breaks of life, one moment up, the next moment down, you just gotta keep on rolling. 


 




"... Its those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Nothing remains quite the same
With all of our running and all of our cunning
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane..."

Comments