When In Nevada City: The Deer Creek Tribute Trail

She may have looked like regular old Tamera but, once she had made her way up to you, you would have noticed that today she was Taxi Tam. And while I am sure the passenger didn't help her riding - not due to extra weight, nor any added pressure on the nerves - I am sure the incessant yapping from the back seat driver didn't help matters; you know what I mean, the "go faster, go faster, pant, pant, pant, catch up to him, catch up to him, pant, pant, pant, there's a squirrel, let me out, let me out, pant, pant, pant, where's my treat, pant, pant.... Of the three of us, guess which one is crashed out now.

Today was the Gold Country Challenge up here in Grass Valley / Nevada City, with road rides of varying length. I have done road rides up here before, including the time (early 1990s?, I will have to check the date on that one) Greg Lemond came back and led a little [big] group ride the day before the Classic; that loop is memorialized by the name Greg Lemond Loop, and you can pick up a route card at the Tour of Nevada City Bike Shop

Since the dawn of the 2000s, though, I have been wanting to explore some of the dirt trail options in the area. After a little research I found the Deer Creek Tribute Trail, which seemed like it would provide a nice introduction to Nevada City mountain biking, all the more so since I could start from the ToNCBS and follow a couple appetizer connector trails taking me to the main course. 

For the most part it worked out really well. I mean I didn't really know where the heck I was in relation to where I thought I wanted to be, but as often as not I was on a trail with the little Tribute Trail marker. At the same time there were also plenty of times when I found myself on other marked trails - like the Ditch Trail - or was winging it with my best guess. I suppose I could have just followed the route as marked on the mtb project, but I like discovering stuff on my own and winging it, this time, allowed me to do so. True I did not make it to the Chinese Tribute Bridge, but I did "find" the suspension bridge, all the Nisenan interpretive signs, and various remnants of mining operations, and met tons of friendly hiking people (there was also a Trails Festival taking place nearby).

Anyway, if you find yourself in the Nevada City / Grass Valley area, on purpose or by accident, the Deer Creek Tribute Trail offers a good introduction to local riding.

















Comments