Going, Going, Going, and Gone

At the start of my ride up to the Potato this afternoon I slowed to take a series of photos of the disappearing bike lane on Mills Avenue. By my calculations it was about six years ago that I noticed the same thing, wrote about it, and shortly thereafter the City came around repainted them. Maybe the same thing will happen now. Interesting how the fade is worse on the concrete of the 210 overpass than it is on the asphalt (and notice that the yellow median lines show the same wear). As you ride across the overpass the lines continue to fade until all that is left is a figment of someone's imagination. A few days ago I decided to do a little study of a couple studies, and found out that most "use by" dates for roadway markings max out at about three years. Given that and, granted these have been faded for a while, but I think the City got their money's worth last time around. Time for a bit of a refresh, though, don't you think?





Comments