A Day for The Optimist


I know what you mean, I had pretty much reached my limit as well, and it meant I was willing to forgo, what I am sure turned out to be a great gravel / demo ride, in favor of some larger road miles.


There used to be a guy lived here in California, promoted races, including some pretty good 'uns - the Los Angeles Circuit Race over by LAX, and the Hotter 'n Hell Hill Climb up to Mt. Baldy. He was always ragging on California, and so he moved. To Texas. "Good", I thought, and knew there were others who breathed a sigh of relief, "we won't have to put up with all that negativity anymore." Due to my pledge to never discount someone simply because of their political affiliation, and because he also shares stuff about riding in the Lone Star (wouldn't mind doing some mountain biking there in the future), I still get posts from him on FB. Unfortunately, the anti-California diatribe has not abated, and I find myself wondering why. Regret? Jealousy? (We did just move from #6 on the world economic list to #5 after all.) Just plain orneriness? You don't live here anymore, so just forget it; move on. I mean, I am not particularly fond of onions, but I don't go on about it, I just don't eat them, and I move on.

In some ways I was a natural born pessimist, not necessarily a negativist, a Donald Downer, just a pessimist. Then a son came into my life, and I realized I couldn't be a pessimist anymore, I had to look for the good in the future, and so I turned myself into an optimist. 

What brought this line of thought about? Well, you will notice in the photos that I was passed today, headed down from the mouth of The Canyon, by Jenna and her faithful shadow, aka Jeff. To me, Jenna has always represented The Optimist, someone who turned from a horrific, life-changing event, saw a different future and has pursued it with everything she has - National Championship ✅, Olympic and World aspirations ✅, career✅. I have often wondered if there was a point when pessimism, doubt, loomed large. I think that if it ever did, it was soundly beaten down.

What a fantastic first day to the weekend, I hope yours was as well, and that you look forward to keeping it rolling tomorrow.

the Rock and Sand Club Loop would have involved a bit of swimming today, good thing I chose the pavement...

along with many others. And look, you can see Los Angeles over there! Nothing like a good rain to clear the air.

Comments