Surrender

Man did I need this Friday. That rut was deep with steep sides. That president is in a rut now too, one from which there is no escape. Sooner or later everyone catches on to the con; no one likes to be taken for a ride, so it is going to be ugly. But that is another matter. The rut that had me trapped only had me for a couple weeks. This was not the rut of routine that I had written about before - that one, at the least, involved a lot of riding, just not much variation. No this rut has been a prison of lack, not enough riding. The opportunity was there, but the motivation wasn't. And then this week with the rain, and the cold, and another three days lost. Three weeks ago, showing up at Thirsty Thursday, and expecting to make it a part of the weekly routine is yet to result in a follow-up showing. While the skinny-tired, longer miles remain elusive at least this sunny Friday allowed for some fun in the dirt. 

Fun!? Is that right? Does that seriously read 101º? Wasn't it just in the 60ºs two, maybe three days ago? That is just too much. And too much of a sudden shift. I would not have normally clicked through to look at the temp but curiosity got the best of me. A long stretch in the direct sun did make it feel abnormally warm but, damn-it I should not have looked. I let that 101º get into my head and all incentive for speed and distance immediately withered into dust. Of course once I found a little shade, or made it with my body, the device settled into the mid / upper 90ºs. By then it was too late and I surrendered after three laps.

🚵

A couple weeks ago, when finding some familiar faces on the trail, it was pointed out that the tread on my front tire was pretty worn down. Upon closer inspection it did look worn; funny but it seemed like the same tire on the same wheel I had been putting on before each ride for (mumble, mumble) years now. Sometimes we just need to have things pointed out to us. Anyway today was the first opportunity to test out a new Serfas Krest; the knobs are not a prominent as what I had before. It rolls really nice, beautifully in fact, but I am a little concerned that it will have enough bite when things get more technical.

🚴

Over at work, with one boss and seventeen employees we are not an exceptionally large office, but two are regular bike commuters and if I can find the taste for it again we will be three, one in six, 1/6, 16.67%. That is far above the general bike commuting numbers we hear about. There has even been talk of an office "team." Hmmmm...







Have a good weekend everyone. Keep it cool.

Comments