No More American Classic


A couple of those anodized aluminum seatposts can be found on bikes out in the stable and, judging by the news, it appears to have just become a little more unlikely that there will ever be a third. Good thing they last a long time. Those two seatposts have graced one of those bikes for twenty years, while the second has an even lengthier history, being shuttled between successive frames. At some point during that time, American Classic gave up on seatpost production in order to focus their energies on wheels, hubs, and related components. Though I was always tempted to give their hoops a try, I never did.

I was immediately drawn to the simplicity of American Classic's single-bolt seatpost - it was so much easier to set up than any post I had previously used. Never much of a weight-weenie, but I would be lying if I didn't admit the lightness of quality aluminum was not also attractive.

They may not have been the largest bicycle component manufacturer around, but they were a quality option, one that will be missed.

Comments