Friday Query: The 'Been a While' Ride


I had heard talk about there being a, figurative, ton of poison oak in Marshall Canyon this year. Before this afternoon I had no firsthand experience to confirm the assessment. I have not been there at all this month, nor last month, nor the month before that. In fact, I cannot recall a single spin, or grind, that I might have made through that oaken draw since last October. Then, I needed a photo to accompany the annual Spooky Hollow post, something that Marshall has always been good for. Now, I just plain wanted to ride there. Nothing more than that.

I certainly was not disappointed with the decision; it did seem a little less rocky, and that one little uphill stretch right up against the golf course fence, the one that had some tree roots snaking across its surface, was all smoothed out. Kind of unfortunate really; I recall a sense of accomplishment the first time I rode up those roots, many years ago. Yes, I wrote "up canyon" - typically the direction I take; the clockwise loop from home has always worked best for me. I am also not sure why the big bypass around the stream crossing, the one where you actually ride in the stream for a short distance. Well, you don't have to take the bypass, and so I didn't. 

Riding the clockwise route you eventually get near the top, the place where Marshall Canyon Regional County Park turns into the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park. You know the spot because of all the signs. This is one thing I fail to understand about the city - what is the fascination with signs? You can ride almost the entire length of Marshall Canyon without noticing a sign, but get to the CHWP and they are everywhere. The worst offending spot has got to be the junction where the Evey-Palmer branches off, headed for Potato Mountain - it is beginning to look a lot like a downtown interchange. Are all those signs really necessary?

That is not the Friday Query, however. No, the question is: Have you ever woke in the morning, realized while sitting at work, or otherwise been surprised, that a ridiculous amount of time has passed since you last rode a favorite trail or road route? 


flow

Well that seems new

stacked

down, looks up

all those red leaves - not the kind you would want to pick up


Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

Comments