Some Folks

So, I am sure enough time has now passed that you have since discovered what song I was talking about in yesterday's post ("it makes my skin crawl"). Maybe you are a product of the era and knew all along that the line is from "Some Folks". But, did you know that the song is about bicycling, or more specifically about people who dream of getting out on their pedal power two-wheelers yet, for any number of reasons, don't? I bet you thought, "well, it is an Alice Cooper song, so it must be about sex, drugs, or rock 'n roll" - the three pillars of the genre. Well, not so fast there, the individual Alice Cooper, as well as the group Alice Cooper from which the one was born, were an innovative bunch, and so it really should be no surprise to discover a mold-breaking song.

Follow along, and we will check it out, line by line. You'll see what I mean
(As usual, the songs meaning will be in brackets, while the lyrics are without):

Some folks
Love to see red
[some like themselves the red bikes]
Some folks
Never talk about it
[but are too hesitant to admit it]
Some folks
Crave a blue lady
[others prefer the blue rides]
Some folks
Know and still they doubt it
[but can't bring themselves to admit it]

I'm just no good without it
[we all pretty much feel that way after a couple days off the bike]
I'm not a man at all
[you've got it pretty bad, though, if thats the case]
It makes my skin crawl
[never have i regarded non-cyclists that severely, but, oh well]

Baby, baby
Come on and save me, save me
My, my baby, baby
Come on and save me now
[there are stories galore of folks being saved by the bike after all]

Some folks
Love to feel pain
[we have all known one or more of those folks - it's not a ride, if there is no pain involved]
Some folks
Wake up every mornin'
[well, yeah, how else are you going to get your ride in]
Some folks
Live for no reason
[sad, but true - reason = cycling, of course]
Some folks
Die without a warning
[harsh, I realize, but if they had only left the couch for a few hours each week]


I'm just no good without it
I'm not a man at all
It makes my skin crawl

Baby, baby
Come on and save me, save me
...

And there you are, another true story of the relationship between the bicycle and rock 'n roll, brought to you by today's ride on which those very lyrics, repeated over forty miles worth of time, first sustained me [did not drive me bonkers], and then compelled me, to share their meaning with you.

apparently I broke with routine after my last ride, didn't hang my gloves from the handlebars to dry, forgot them somewhere at home today, and had to ride without - first time in one hundred twenty-two months

Have a good weekend- Cucamonga Challenge, CicLAvia, all kind of fun going on.

Comments