2016 NAHBS: Bits and Pieces, Odds and Ends 1

As expected, there was so much to see at NAHBS that posts on individual builds and details could go on for months. In order to streamline the process I have found it necessary to pull multiple posts into the Bits and Pieces, Odds and Ends

Peacock Groove was showing a fatbike with one-off 24" wheels at the HED booth. It was that hammered gold [?] chainguard that first caught my eye, but the HED rims, painted to match the custom frame was turning heads as well:

For the longest time, it seems, singlespeed bikes favored the sliding dropout for installation and tensioning. I like the range of options we are seeing to accomplish the same thing. Earlier I posted a photo of a rocker dropout by a Cal Poly student. At Oddity Cycles they have split the chain stays allowing them to slide in and out, while couplers on the seat stays allow you to completely break apart the rear triangle for travel, or to install a belt drive:

No where will you find the level of custom design that you get from the handmade builders. The owner of this Bilenky creation has the last name of Star (or maybe Starr). Either way that served as inspiration for some personal customization:

I have been aware of Appleman Bicycles for a number of years, and would even go so far as to describe him as the premier handmade builder of carbon fibre frames. I had only ever seen his road bikes, however. It was a pleasant surprise when I spotted this Appleman fat bike at the HED booth:

The Matter Two Stroke is one of seven models of bikes, for pavement and dirt, built by Collin Schaafsma out of Boulder, Colorado. Check more at the Matter website:


Like the students of Cal Poly, the students of the University of Iowa Hand Built Bicycle Program showed up at NAHBS. Unlike the former, however, the U of I brought many bikes to show. I was particularly taken with the wide-tired mountain runner - I think it was the swooping tubes:



A custom fit at Riivo Custom Cycling Footwear means a full foot mold first. I am not sure you can get a fit like that anywhere else:

Comments