From the Archives, Tour de Poly, 1989


Going back more than the usual twenty years for this one, since I just dug it out of hiding. The Tour de Poly was a fun ride, maybe a benefit, though I can't recall who benefited from the money that was raised. This was the 4th annual event, held on the 5th of February, which would explain the long sleeved sweatshirt under my jersey. This is probably the only photo I have of me actually riding the old Schwinn, which I got as a congratulatory gift upon graduating from UCSB two years earlier. It was also probably one of its last rides since, by the time the racing season began within another month or two, I would have bought the 
Benotto. What else can I say about the Schwinn: Look pedals, most likely all Shimano built, including some left-side pull front brakes, Zefal frame pump, Selle Italia Turbo saddle, early Cafe de Colombia water bottle, one of those funky stretch helmet covers over plain styrofoam, I think. Or maybe not, maybe it had a hardshell, I don't remember. The look of an '80s not-so-neophyte, committed yet still not fully inducted into the cult, rider.

Comments