Monday Blues: The Birdhouses of Bonelli

I am not sure if these are the original bluebird houses installed at the park in 2008 under the auspices of the Pomona Valley Audubon Society, or are of a more recent endeavor. The ones I have seen appear to be in quite good condition. Seventeen houses were hung that year to provide nesting for Western Bluebirds, House Wrens, and well, I guess whatever other species might find them attractive. Interestingly, during the first season, one proactive resident stuffed its house entirely with multi-colored Easter basket grass. That curious incident aside, the most popular choice of nesting material for Bonelli Park bluebirds, according to what I have read, are pine needles, though the wrens apparently prefer sticks - not at all comfortable, if you ask me.






I have noticed about six of them in the East Shore area, with numbers as low as 2 and as high as 20, and another cluster in the central valley picnic area. Get out on your bikes and search for them. Foot will do too, but you won't see them from the seat of a car.

Comments