Monday Blues: Early '80s Fuji Royale

After checking catalogs I can state with some confidence that this model Royale dates to 1980 or 1981. The Royale was produced between 1979 and 1981; in 1982 they gave way to the Royale II. In 1981 the model was not offered in the "rainbow blue" that graces this frame. I believe that in 1980 only center-pull brakes could be had, while in 1981 Fuji offered the bike with a side-pull brake option. As usual you can see it live, at the Velo in Claremont.




There were no braze-ons for mounting a water bottle cage to this frame in either 1980 nor 1981. You will notice, that to get around this deficiency, the previous owner of this bike used a couple hose clamps on the down tube for the purpose.




Blue: A color, a mood or emotion, a genre of music. Tune in each Monday for another installment of the Blues, with a cycling twist.

Comments

  1. Very nice I had an 81 s-12 s 18 speed loved it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one can u hwlp.me decipher the year my shifters are in handlebars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are on Facebook, I suggest posting a photo to Steel is Real!!! - Classic Vintage Road Bikes, they know their stuff and can probably give you an answer right away.

      Delete

Post a Comment