Interbike 2013: The Krusch Rhoades Look 464...


The artistry of bicycles has long been noted. Sometimes the physical form of a bicycle is artistic in itself, sometimes the very act of riding can be artistic. Other times visual artists are given free reign to create by using the frame as a canvas. Last year you may remember I declared a Dario Pegoretti creation as my Best of Show. While I am going a different direction with this years Best of Show, the Rhoades creation shown below is, in my opinion, the most unique and visually artistic. I felt like I needed to throw that word visually in there since the Look 464 is, unless I am mistaken, a simple stock frame, whereas the Pegoretti are hand-built and painted. I think you will agree that the Krusch Rhoades Look 464 is a creative, complex, and whimsical design.

A portion of the artists' statement:

"I've painted walls and pedaled bicycles for as long as I've been alive. These two relationships are the defining pillars of my existence. Bicycles have helped me nurture healthy understanding and hopeful discipline with the primitive side of being human: Ego, pain, limits, fear, drive, etc... While also creating an arena that's fostered some of the deepest relationships in my life. There are few bonds like those formed when circumstances elicit the essence of our character. I love bicycles and everything they've shown me. The diversity of experience I've had with this machine has led to more positive results than anything else in my life. Which I find odd, but true none the less."



Unfortunately I didn't see any information on how or why the "collaboration between artist and bicycle manufacturer came about. It would have added substance to the story. Incidentally I noticed two new Pegoretti's on display; unfortunately it was after my camera batteries were drained, and me forgetting to bring the charger. Hopefully there will be photos around the internet. They were both wonderful.

Comments

  1. Thankyou SO MUCH! I'm extremely selective with the projects I choose. This is not a luxury but a nescecity. I cannot help but pour myself into a piece once commited to it. Because of this; most pieces become more of an emotional snapshot representing a deliberately cultivated MindSpace than the perfection of a particular visual concept. So, it's unavoidably intimate. When something I create in such a personal space resonates with another human, it's such a distinct joy. When their observation is conveyed as articulately as yours, it's orders of magnitude greater. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the extra explanation. With so many distinct elements visible, flowing and overlapping one another, it adds an entire level of interpretation, of reading what we are looking at.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment