2013 Turn & Burn Six Hour Mountain Bike Race...

First off, chapeau to everyone still out there during the 1:00pm hour and beyond. The noon hour was harsh; one o'clock began moving into the realms of brutal and withering. The people riding solo, of course, had it especially bad; if you were a part of a team you could hand the pain and suffering off for a lap or two. Not so for the solo riders, they just had to grin and bear it. Their only escape was to pull out.


Anyway, I had to get something of a ride in today, so I rode the 29er over to Bonelli Park sometime around mid-morning (I had to watch the Vuelta after all). I entered the park off Puddingstone, crossed the stream, rode through the jungle, and as I entered the RV park who should I see on his way out, none other than Tinker Juarez. I wasn't sure if that was auspicious, or inauspicious. Perhaps neither, maybe it was just dumb coincidence. Probably just there to check in on the early action while out on some epic training ride. When I got over to the course, the race was in full swing, everyone spread across hill, and down into dale. The single track section through the outer hills (on the other side of Via Verde) seemed like a good place to watch and shoot, so I spent a lot of time there. 

The hills overlooking the lake turned out to be a good spot too, especially the top of the steep where the race organizers had wisely set up a table with big jugs of cold water and Hammer Nutrition. Not everyone stopped there, but those who did were clearly grateful. The water, whether it went down the gullet, or was poured over the head, probably saved some arses today. Speaking of those water coolers, like any office there was a lot of talk going on around them. Things like, "why does this always seem like a good idea before the race?" and "you running solo too? I'm running solo; stupid man, just stupid."

Of course, if they were looking for someone to commiserate with, they were looking the wrong way. I was the one who had to sit in the shade, enjoy the view over lake and mountains, take a sip of water whenever I wanted. The breeze was nice and cool there in the shade, not that those racers would have noticed it. Alright, enough of that, I don't want to be run off the trail the next time someone recognizes me out in the dirt.

Beside the photos here, there is also a Flickr set. By the by, there are more photos than just those in the Flickr set. If you are looking for someone in particular, let me know the race number via email, and I will let you know what I have.












Comments