Stuff Someone Said: Paolo Bettini...

"I've been struggling to believe what's happened. I've done better than I ever imagined I could."

nicknamed "the cricket" for his ability to jump away from the peloton,
Bettini won gold at the Athens Olympic Games

Aim high and surprise yourself when you exceed all expectations. I don't think Paolo Bettini ever lacked for confidence during his years as a racer, but I imagine there is always at least a little shock and amazement when you end up on top. I imagine it is always like that because, well, there just has never been quite enough personal experience for an unequivocal statement. Not so with Bettini, though, who was one of the most winning riders during his years as a professional (1997-2008). Those wins include National, World, and Olympic Road Race Championships, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Millan-San Remo, Giro di Lombardia, Clasica San Sebastian, HEW Cyclassics, Tirreno-Adriatico, and many others.

Comments